Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Stop Motion Animation of Falling

I initially planned out what sort of obstacles I wanted my object to encounter as well as its environment (band-aid represented the ground--not quite the smoothest nor most rugged surface) and the sort of placement I wanted the camera to be in (top angle). I then determined what kind of object I was going to use. I decided to use a coke bottle cap. I then measured my object’s size, as well as the distance it would fall based upon the setting/background I chose while following the laws of motion as keenly as I can using the odd rule formula to get the correct timing and spacing (marked the sides).



Next I shot a reference video to determine the path of action of my object for the first falling sequence (repeated several times).



The ruler was used as a reference to mimic and match the height of the writing notepad that I was dropping the cap from in my stop motion.

I then used the tracker application tool to calculate and trace its trajectory (falling motion). While using both the video and the plot points of the B mass (coke bottle cap) I was almost prepared to take the shots for my stop motion video.



I then set up my station, placing the camera on the tripod and set both pads adjacent to one another into the frame of the camera. I didn’t want the light too subtle or too harsh. So I diffused the lighting around the “set” so it isn’t over blown or under exposed.



The choice I made to use the red bottle cap also had its reasons; so that there is enough contrast with the background during the entire animation sequence—took consideration to many possible shortcomings along the way.

Now my stop motion animation was underway. Almost everything was carefully executed. Even the audio is in sync. I took many shots—repeated many sequences to perfect the motion of the movement of my object. Even though this was my first ever stop motion animation, I wanted to challenge myself so I tried multiple falling sequences including the clothespin drop and the string/rope drop.

*Also note that though the band-aids are aligned with each other, there are grooves between each one (the bottle cap occasionally falls in between)

Stop Motion Animation Sequence (apologize for the low quality):




HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! For the Higher Quality Version (Use link below):

http://vimeo.com/15596822

2 comments:

  1. Great planning and great ideas!
    Believability 11 of 12 points
    Creativity 9 of 8 points
    Total: 20 points

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus 20 bonus points for being one of the top four stop-motion animations in the class. Good job!

    ReplyDelete